BBQ Pork Steamed bao buns recipe
- Steamed Bun Recipe
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 185 ml lukewarm water
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 20ml vegetable oil, for brushing
- For the Barbecued pork belly
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- 50ml tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 40ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 20ml sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 60 g brown sugar
- 500 g pork belly cut into 8 cm thick strips
- 50g ginger, crushed
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- For the Pickled carrots
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- ½ tsp salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) rice vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) white vinegar
- 110 g (½ cup) white sugar
- Steamed bun Recipe
- Add the yeast into 125ml lukewarm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add the sugar and salt and mix together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, Slowly add the yeast mixture into the well and mix - the flour becomes clumpy, Add the remaining 60 ml lukewarm water and form a ball from the dough. Turn out and knead on a lightly floured surface for 10–15 minutes or the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size
- Cut the dough into equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Using a rolling pin, flatten each portion into a rough oval shape. Brush with the oil, then fold over the other half. Place the dough onto a square of baking paper that is slightly larger in size than the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough. Leave to prove for a further 30 minutes.
- Place the buns and its baking paper in a large bamboo steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove and prepare for serving.
- For the barbecued pork belly, combine all the ingredients to make a marinade. Place the pork belly in a bowl, pour over the marinade, and rest overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Place the pork belly on a wire rack in a roasting tray and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the pork belly, baste with the marinade and turn over, continue to roast for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the pork belly and place on a cooling rack or chopping board. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- When the pork has fully rested, cut into slices of desired thickness and serve.
- For the pickled carrots
- Combine the carrot and salt and leave let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan place the vinegars and sugar and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool, then pour over the carrot. Pickle for at least 1 hour before serving.
- To assemble the pork buns, open the steamed bun in half and layer with perilla leaves, pickled carrots, 3–4 pieces of pork belly, some barbecue sauce and 1 – 2 slices of chilli.
Image thanks to insatiablemunch