How to make rice paper rolls
How to make rice paper rolls, are sheets are thin roasted rice flour rolled with various ingredients including; meat, seafood, vegetables, tofu and much more. Rice paper rolls are usually served with a Nouc Cham traditional Vietnamese dipping sauce . Here is a video that also shows you how to make rice paper rolls. The most common size of the sheets to buy is 81/2 inches.
- 100g steamed chicken, organic or free-range poached and sliced
- 6 large king prawns, cooked and peeled
- 50g vermicelli noodles cooked and strained
- 1pkt rice paper sheets
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne
- ½ bunch picked coriander
- ½ bunch picked Vietnamese mint
- ½ pkt enoki mushroonms
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- 1½ tbsp crisp-fried shallots, plus extra to serve
- nuoc cham dressing
- 2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 100ml fish sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1½ tbsp crushed, unsalted roasted peanuts, plus extra to serve
- How to make the rice paper rolls
- Get a medium size stainless steel bowl and half fill with water
- Dip sheet in each side gently and quickly and remove from bowl to a workable surface, with as minimum water on the sheet as possible
- Add the noodles, chicken, prawns, mushrooms and herbs onto the rice paper roll sheet
- Fold over once, and then fold the side in link an envelope, continue to roll.
- To make the nuoc cham dressing, crush the chilies using a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl, add all the other dressing ingredients, and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
Cooking Tip: Be careful when selecting the rice paper sheets, try and talk to the staff at your local Asian grocer and ask them what are the sheets they recommend, this can make a big difference in the quality of your rice paper rolls. The brand we generally buy is the three ladies brand, here is some more helpful tips on buying and making the rolls. Rice paper rolls can make a great light lunch, or can also be a popular item at cocktail parties, my favourite would be crispy soft shell crab.