Chocolate Truffles the Low Down
Chocolate truffles are probably the most well-loved and easy to make dessert. These little sweet treats are often found served at cocktail parties, can be a great gift idea or just stock them in suitable storage receptacles.
Chocolate truffles originate from France, traditionally they are made of chocolate ganache. The word truffle derives from Latin word tuber meaning swelling or lump. But today the word truffle is often used to describe as any chocolate filled desserts. It’s either round; ganache covered or squared. A modern twist on truffles is coat them with sweet curry, paprika or peppercorns. The shapes remain the same, and they still are filled with chocolate ganache.
Prepare the ingredients needed:
- Dark or any other chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Cocoa powder, Chopped Nuts, Crushed Biscuits
Boil approximately 1 litre of water in a simmering pan
- Cut the chocolates in small pieces and put it in a stainless steel bowl. Place the bowl with chocolates over the simmering pot of water (double boiler).
- Stir the pieces of chocolate occasionally until it melts.
- Slowly pour the cream in and whisk until the mixture combines and thickens. Whisk occasionally until the mixture thoroughly mixes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and put in a suitable place until it cools.
- Let the water simmer again and place the pan with ganache on top of it and add the butter, stir it until it fully molten. Remove it from the heat once liquefied.
- Put the ganache mixture into a large bowl and store under refrigeration for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Use a teaspoon to get ganache mixture, make small balls by rolling them in your palm. Move quickly to avoid the challenge of them melting..
- Roll a small ball into your preferred coating – cocoa powder, chopped nuts or crushed biscuits.
- Chill prior to serving.
Foodies make their versions of truffles. They use unusual ingredients and unexpectedly it tastes good. The steps in making truffles are still the same, and it’s easy to make. The difference is on the ingredients used and the coating too.
Prior to the traditional chocolate truffle – Tiramisu Truffle are making a buzz in the world now. Tiramisu Truffle comprised of white chocolate and flavoured with mascarpone cheese and coffee. To make the truffle more authentic dashing a rum or brandy extract will make a kick on its taste.
Nutella brings out more sweetness and more flavour to the well loved truffle dessert experience. These two are a perfect match from heaven complimenting the sweet combination that will make every foodie crave.
Orange adds a refreshing taste to your well-loved truffles. Its tang taste gives a delicious and exotic flavour to the dish. You can use orange liqueur or orange juice to spice up the truffles.
Truffles are a versatile dessert, and everyone can make them in their kitchen. There is no need to have concern about your skill level in the kitchen. This lovable dessert is no bake and easy to make. You can surely impress anyone with sweetness, and it’s fun to make the small balls and kids can do it as well. Its taste is simple, and you can rest assured everyone will love it.
image thanks to Lee Mccoy