Is there anything you cannot pair with chocolate? I do not believe I have found it yet. There is just something about the undertones of chocolate, whether they be earthy, robust or savory or floral that just compliment so many things. I have to admit though, one of my favorite pairings with chocolate is banana. It must have to do with the aroma of the banana on one’s palate once it crashes and melds into a tropical wonderland. They were truly meant for one another.
Sorry, got a little carried away for a moment. If you love the combination like I do and are looking to whip up a sweet treat for the family, try these chocolate and banana puddings.
Here is what you need:
- 400g self raising flour
- 150g butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 150g sugar
- 120ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 120g choc chips
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature or at least slightly softened. You will want it soft enough for the mixer.
- Combine the sugar and butter in a deep mixing bowl and blitz it with the hand mixer on medium-high speed until the butter is nice and creamed and pale yellow.
- Turn the mixer down a bit slower and add the eggs one at a time and mix them in evenly.
- Add your bananas and continue to mix, even on a slighter higher speed until they are well incorporated.
- Next, turn the mixer low and add your milk, blend just until mixed in.
- Sift the flour into the mix and add the chocolate a little at a time. Once the flour is integrated, do not mix any further. If it is worked too much the pudding will be too tough.
- Get your pudding moulds and fill them with the mixture about ¾ of the way, cover with gladwrap and place in the 180 degree oven in a water bath and cover the tops with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Once the pudding has cooled you can remove them from their moulds. Serve alone, however it is pretty good with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Maybe some toasted nuts and caramel too, just another version for the banana split!
This is a person favourite of our personal chefs who love making this dish for birthdays, romantic dinner and boardroom lunches. Contact us today and we can create the perfect menu for your next catering event.